Spirits made with Manitoba in mind
Housed in the Dominion Express building, a former livery stable turned craft distillery, we use a 125-gallon copper pot still, a 4-plate column still, and a 16-plate column still to produce small batch, premium craft spirits with Manitoba’s history and the natural world in mind.
The Dominion Express building was completed in 1904, when Winnipeg was still experiencing rapid, railway-fuelled growth. Between 1880 and 1900, the Canadian Pacific Railway helped to define Winnipeg as the “Gateway to Canada’s West.” Thousands of settlers stopped in Winnipeg before heading west, and this immigration boom established Winnipeg as the agricultural center of the country.
The building was considered “state-of-the-art” as it was the first stable in Canada with electric grooming. The horses were kept on the second floor and the wagons on the main floor.
Sustainability and locality are fundamental to our philosophy: we use a 900-gallon water recirculating system to reduce our water waste; our spent grains are sent to local farms to be used for feed.
Originally the barrel room was used as a storage space for parts for the carts and wagons pulled by the horses of the Dominion Express Company. Having sat empty for a decade before Patent 5 repurposed the room, the barrel room idea was inspired by the original “racks for tiering barrels” patent issued to Frederick Stitzel in 1879. In the barrel room, our whiskies and rums age in an interesting fashion – hot and humid in the summer and cool and dry in the winter.